What’s a Furnace Inspection?
If you’ve been under the impression that the extent of the furnace maintenance you need to do each fall is to change the filter before switching it on, it’s time you learned what a furnace inspection is and why it pays to hire a company to perform a professional furnace service at least once a year, if not twice.
The following is meant to give you an idea of what typically takes place during a professional inspection and how this type of routine furnace maintenance can save you a great deal of money over the long-term.
Several steps are required for a furnace inspection, starting with the testing of the unit’s various components to ensure everything is functioning properly. Some of the components that will be tested during an inspection include:
- the blower motor, wheel and housing are checked
- the belt is inspected and replaced if necessary
- ensure the combustion blower isn’t being blocked by any debris
- inspect the evaporator coil
- inspect the burner
- ensure safety controls are functioning properly and make adjustments, if necessary
- thoroughly inspect heat exchanger and elements
- check the flue system for a proper connection and any signs of corrosion
- inspect electrical systems (wiring, control box, etc.)
- check and replace air filters
- listen for strange sounds or make note of odours that could indicate a problem
- check vent system while furnace is running
- inspect duct work for leaks
- evaluate system start-up
After all of the system’s components have been inspected, any and all necessary cleaning and/or minor repairs are made. In some cases, your system may require more than just routine furnace maintenance, meaning the technician might have to order parts and schedule a time when they can return to perform the repairs. One of the biggest benefits of a furnace inspection is that a problem can be detected and addressed early on, rather than your furnace failing in the middle of the night or when you’re away.
How You Will Benefit
An inspection is a furnace service that benefits property owners in more ways than one. When you invest in a routine inspection performed by professionals, you’ll enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing your furnace isn’t likely to fail in the dead of winter, on top of the long-term cost-savings that a properly functioning furnace can provide. You see, a furnace that’s performing as it should will use less energy to operate, and over the course of several months and years, this cost-savings can really add up.
But, the real savings, and a huge upside to regular furnace maintenance, is that problems can be detected early on with an inspection and potentially costly repairs can be avoided.
An inspection shouldn’t be considered an optional furnace service but an opportunity to save hundreds, possibly even thousands, of dollars in the long-run. For information on the furnace maintenance services offered by J.O.B. Heating & Air Conditioning, or to book an inspection, please call us at 306-683-4328.